Monday, December 23, 2013

Wrapping up 2013 - some thoughts, some memories

It's almost the end of the year! That means that the New Year posts on social media will start coming soon. Towards the end of every year we are used to looking back at how the year has been and it's always interesting to see how people rate their year on their Facebook posts. In a couple of days, it is all people are going to be talking about. You're going to hear about achievements, failures, parties, friends, grades, purchases, vacations and every thing that happened to people in 2013. While some will be happy about how things turned out to be, some will have reasons to complain and will look forward to a new year and new beginnings. When I'm done with the final exams of my fall semester every year, which is usually 10-15 days before the end of the year, I start thinking about how the year has been. But I believe that no matter how bad the year has been, everyone will have had something happen to them that would've made the year worth cherishing. And it would only be fair if we take a moment to thank God for all those precious little moments.

As I was thinking about how this year has been and how I hope the next year will be, I thought of writing a blog post so that everyone reading can also have a few moments of reflection. Such moments of reflection make us gain appreciation for all that we have. So why not bid goodbye to the year with happy thoughts and welcome the new year with good hopes? 2013 has been a great year for me. Nothing extra ordinary, but it is the ordinary things that make life beautiful right? Two great semesters; lots of new friends; my first job; a great summer; lots of quality time with family; finally visiting Dubai after wanting to do so for as long as I can remember; meeting a best friend after two years of being apart; a bunch of good books; starting this blog; making some progress on the path of self discovery; being touched by the kindness shown by strangers and waking up everyday healthy, at home, with family. I've every reason to celebrate the year 2013 and I'm sure you do too!

Since we're talking about all the good things that happened this year, let me share with you an incident that touched my heart and left me feeling overwhelmed. It was sometime in October, a week before a really hard midterm that I went hunting for the textbook for that class. I don't use textbooks unless exams are around the corner and it was only natural that I couldn't find it when I first looked for it. When I couldn't find it even after looking around the house thrice, I was starting to get worried. I know I'm careless with books but have never lost one. I then asked one of my friends and she agreed to lend me her book till I could find mine; but I still kept looking. After considering all possibilities, my aunt remembered returning a few library books a week before. It was a very small possibility but I might have returned my textbook with the library books. Though it seemed preposterous, she thought of giving it a try. That is how the two of us ended up going to the library that Wednesday evening, one day before my midterm. I was convinced that I'd lost my textbook and went along only because she insisted. We went in and told someone about what happened. The events that happened afterwards were nothing less than miraculous. The woman we spoke to, informed a couple of co-workers and all of them went out in different directions looking for it in possible places. I was amazed at the amount of effort they were putting in even though it was entirely my fault. When I told them it was a college textbook, they were even more determined to find it. After looking in a bunch of possible places, we could still not find it. They'd asked me to leave my phone number and other details about the book so that they could keep looking for it. I did so and left, still convinced that my book was never returned with the library books. I hadn't even reached home, when they called to let me know that they found it. We rushed back to the library and as soon as I walked in, a kind looking elderly woman came to me and told me that they had all been looking for the book since college books were expensive and they didn't want me to have to pay for it again. By then, I'd become famous in the library as "the girl who lost her textbook"! They then gave me my book and reminded me as I left, to be more careful with my books in future. I was stunned by how kind these people were to stop doing whatever they were doing to look for my book, even though it was in no way their fault. This is not easy to forget and every time I think of the year 2013, I'll remember this heart-warming incident. You'd have also had some incredible things happen to you in 2013 that are worth remembering. As you bid farewell to the year, keep those in mind and be grateful for all those blessings. Who knows how many around us have had so much to be thankful for?

1 comment:

  1. wow ,finally u got the book.really interesting zeina.2013 is a great year for me too.waiting for u'r next post.IA.

    ReplyDelete