Saturday, June 8, 2013

Your Hijab, your choice


Finally, here’s my kind of a topic! I’ve been thinking about and debating with others on this topic for quite some time now. Here’s my chance to express my thoughts on this matter. Islam is a beautiful religion. Women in Islam are empowered, yet protected. The rights Islam gave women in the 7th century AD were not made available to other women till the 20th century.  The confidence and the sense of security that I feel, as a Muslim girl in Hijab is enormous. Yet, I see women being unfairly judged and criticized by other Muslim men and women everyday.

Firstly, someone’s Hijab is not an indicator of her piety. Please go back and read that sentence again. Yes, Islam requires us women to cover ourselves. But, to be able to fully understand what the Hijab is about and to accept it wholeheartedly is more important than covering yourself just because society asks you to. Sisters, your Hijab is a decision that concerns you and Allah alone. Please do not let any one else, be it your parents, husband or community members interfere in that. You have to accept it willingly and shouldn't be forced into it. My Hijab was my personal choice. My family did not have a say in it and I’m glad it happened that way. If my family had forced me, I’m sure I wouldn’t have the kind of love and dedication towards my Hijab as I now have. I’ve taken my time to learn more about the Hijab and to gradually improve it. I realize that it is a slow process. Similarly, any girl/woman needs her time to learn about the Hijab and slowly accept it.

What the rest of the community is supposed to do is to encourage them and make the process easier for them. But what are we doing? We are posting things on social media that say, “What you are doing is not Hijab, wearing an Abaya and covering your face with a Niqab is Hijab.” I’m sorry, but who has given us the right to dismiss someone’s efforts that easily? It might not be that easy for someone to accept the Hijab as it had been for you. For those of us who have lived or are living in Islamic countries, the Hijab is an easy choice. But for others, it might not be all that easy. We do not know how hard they must be trying to finally get there. Being fellow sisters in Islam, it is our duty to help them with the process. Now for the men whose Social media posts always concern the Hijab. You have absolutely no clue how big of a decision the Hijab is and rude posts on social media are not going to inspire any woman to accept the Hijab.

Let us take a moment to realize that the Hijab only takes us one step closer to becoming better Muslims. It is not true that every woman who wears a Hijab is a good Muslimah and every woman who doesn’t wear a Hijab is not. Let us please not shun anyone or say rude things about a fellow sister in Islam, just because she hasn’t yet taken that brave step towards Hijab. Yes, you can advise them about it. But be careful in choosing your words. Be encouraging. Be supportive. Remember that Allah has asked us to not judge anyone because we are not aware of his or her intentions and in Islam intentions matter more than actions. We are striving everyday to become a better Ummah and in order to achieve that, we need to help each other out and not dishearten anyone.  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quran.

    Sura 24.The Light , Versus 31

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read that Ayah. What I'm saying is that women should be aware of what the Quran says about Hijab and then accept. They shouldnt do so just because they are forced by others.

    ReplyDelete